Get Your Ontario Security Guard License
This mandatory training is required before you apply for your Ontario Security Guard License.
Steps To Receive Your Ontario Security Guard License
Complete the mandatory 40
hour training course
Write and pass the provincial exam
(80% minimum score)
Apply to the Ontario government and receive your license.
Everything You Need
- 55 lessons with video and text.
- 11 Quizzes to ensure understanding of the material
- Available 24/7/365
- No time limit to complete the course
- Support available if you have questions or need help.
- Available on all internet connected devices – desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile phone using Windows/Mac/iOS/Android
- Assistance with booking your government exam
All of the above for a one-time payment:
People who are new to the security profession are required to complete a 40 hour course that is specifically designed for prospective security guards in Ontario before they can apply to write the provincial exam. 6.5 hours of the course is dedicated for Emergency First Aid Training, and the 33.5 hours course must be instructor led.
This course does not include Emergency First Aid Training, and the offered course is only 33.5 hours long. You should obtain your Emergency First Aid Certification through a ministry approved provider before you purchase this course. This is a list of all the approved first aid training providers.
Positions that require licensing include:
- Uniformed security guards
- Door staff
- Body guards – close protection
- Retail loss prevention
- In-house security
- Private investigator
- Doorperson at licensed liquor establishments
Individuals with prior training and experience can apply for an exemption from training or exemption from training and examination if they meet specific exemption criteria and are within applicable timelines. Exemptions are processed through the Registrar, Security Services Act. Please contact customer service to determine if this applies to you.
Topics for the security guard course is a follows:
- Introduction to the Security Industry
- The Private Security and Investigative Services Act and Code of Conduct regulation
- Basic Security Procedures
- Report Writing
- Health and Safety
- Emergency Response Preparation
- Canadian Legal System
- Legal Authorities
- Effective Communications
- Sensitivity Training
- Use of Force Theory (a detailed Use of Force course is also available)
- Emergency Level First Aid Certification (not included in this course)
This Security Guard Training online course focuses on providing a foundation in:
- Professionalism and ethics
- Legal studies
- Report writing
- Personal safety
Students who successfully complete the online course and final exam are eligible to apply for the Ontario Security Guard License.
WHAT TOOLS AND ACCESS DO I NEED TO COMPLETE THE ONTARIO SECURITY GUARD ONLINE COURSE AND EXAM?
WHAT IS THE AGE REQUIREMENT TO TAKE THE ONTARIO SECURITY GUARD COURSE?
There is no minimum age requirement to take the Ontario security guard course but you must be at least 18 years old when you write the exam.
WHAT ARE THE PRE-REQUISITES FOR THE ONTARIO SECURITY GUARD COURSE?
Security Guard License Requirements Ontario
To be eligible for an Ontario security guard license you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be legally able to work in Canada.
- Have a clean criminal record.
- Complete the training and exam requirements.
- Have a current Emergency First Aid/CPR certificate
WHAT BACKGROUND SECURITY CHECKS ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE THE COURSE?
There are no requirements that must be met in order to take the Ontario security guard course. Anyone can take the course but, of course, in order to actually receive your license you must meet the requirements for licensing (see question above).
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET A SECURITY GUARD LICENSE IN ONTARIO?
Once you have completed the training (33.5 hours online) and obtained your first-aid certification, the Ministry can process your online application in as little as 2-3 days.
HOW MUCH IS A SECURITY LICENSE IN ONTARIO?
The licensing fee charged by the Ontario government is $80 (tax included) and is valid for two years. At the end of the two years, you will need to renew your license at the same fee.
HOW DO I GET MY SECURITY GUARD LICENSE IN ONTARIO?
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO GET A SECURITY GUARD LICENSE IN ONTARIO?
To be eligible for a security guard licence in Ontario, you must:
– Be 18 years of age or older
– Be eligible to work in Canada, and
– Have no convictions for a prescribed offence for which you have not been granted a pardon. A complete list can be found on the Ontario Ministry site.